Pattern of Ocular trauma in Pediatric population of Western Odisha | Abstract

International Journal of Medical Research & Health Sciences (IJMRHS)
ISSN: 2319-5886 Indexed in: ESCI (Thomson Reuters)


Pattern of Ocular trauma in Pediatric population of Western Odisha

Author(s):Tarun Kumar Panda*, Rutayani Dash and A.C. Raghu

Background: To assess the clinicodemographic profile and pattern of Ocular trauma in Paediatric (<15 years) patients attending Bhima Bhoi Medical College and Hospital, Balangir. Methods: Hospital-based observational study, over one year, was conducted at BBMCH, Balangir, Odisha. Data regarding the demographic profile, Injury details, clinical profile, and treatment outcomes were noted in children up to 15 years of age with ocular trauma and were subsequently followed up for 6 months. Results: The most common age group affected was between 6 years to 10 years (41% i.e. 47 eyes) followed by 11years to15 years (31% i.e. 36 eyes) and then 0 years to5 years (27% i.e. 31 eyes ). Boys (78% i.e. 89 eyes) were affected more than girls (22% i.e. 25 eyes ). It was found that closed globe injuries were more in the urban population. Most of the children presented to our OPD between 24 hours to 72 hours (54.6%). The maximum number of injuries occurred during outdoor play or activities (53.6%). During the winter season, maximum cases were recorded (56.8%). The object causing mechanical injuries were projectile objects (41%) followed by household objects (21%) and blunt objects 56.2% of patients were managed surgically and the rest 43.8% by conservative treatment. Best connected Visual Acuity (VA) of more than 6/18 was achieved in 72% of cases,6/18-6/60 in 10% of cases. Conclusions: Children between 6 years to 10 years of age are more vulnerable to ocular trauma. Rural background and lack of education and transport facilities were determinants of visual outcome. Awareness is highly needed among parents, health workers, and teachers.

Select your language of interest to view the total content in your interested language

Scope Categories
  • Clinical Research
  • Epidemiology
  • Oncology
  • Biomedicine
  • Dentistry
  • Medical Education
  • Physiotherapy
  • Pulmonology
  • Nephrology
  • Gynaecology
  • Dermatology
  • Dermatoepidemiology
  • Otorhinolaryngology
  • Ophthalmology
  • Sexology
  • Osteology
  • Kinesiology
  • Neuroscience
  • Haematology
  • Psychology
  • Paediatrics
  • Angiology/Vascular Medicine
  • Critical care Medicine
  • Cardiology
  • Endocrinology
  • Gastroenterology
  • Infectious Diseases and Vaccinology
  • Hepatology
  • Geriatric Medicine
  • Bariatrics
  • Pharmacy and Nursing
  • Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry
  • Radiobiology
  • Pharmacology
  • Toxicology
  • Clinical immunology
  • Clinical and Hospital Pharmacy
  • Cell Biology
  • Genomics and Proteomics
  • Pharmacogenomics
  • Bioinformatics and Biotechnology