GET THE APP

Unchanged Patient Attitude toward Spine Surgery despite about Two Decades of Practice at Tertiary Care Hospital | Abstract
Logo

International Journal of Medical Research & Health Sciences (IJMRHS)
ISSN: 2319-5886 Indexed in: ESCI (Thomson Reuters)

Abstract

Unchanged Patient Attitude toward Spine Surgery despite about Two Decades of Practice at Tertiary Care Hospital

Author(s):Waleed Awwad, Rohail Mumtaz*, Omar Alsultan, Abdulaziz Aljurayyan, Abeer Awwad, Khalifah Aldawsari, Abdulaziz Almaawi and Khalid Alsaleh

Objective: Spine surgery carries a risk for the potential complications similar to any other surgical intervention. Our aim in this study to evaluate the patient attitude regarding spine surgeries and to understand the factors that could affect patient choice.

Methods: A cross sectional study of 164 patients who visited King Saud University Medical City (KSUMC) outpatient spine clinic between January to October 2019 and had a surgical pathology. Each patient and his family were counseled regarding the need of the spine surgery and the possible complications. A general demographic questionnaire was used to assess patient response toward surgery and to identify the factors which might influence his decision.

Results: A total of 164 patients were included in this study. Ninety-eight were females and sixty-six were males. Sixty-five (39.6%), agreed to surgery. The remaining ninety-nine (60.4%) didn’t opt surgery for different reasons. Conclusion: Despite that the spine surgery is as safe as any other surgical intervention patients tend to refuse it. We strongly believe that patient education is very important change this negative attitude. Patient’s understanding about the disease if left untreated or inappropriately treated may play a crucial role to make a better decision.


Archive
Scope Categories
  • Clinical Research
  • Epidemiology
  • Oncology
  • Biomedicine
  • Dentistry
  • Medical Education
  • Physiotherapy
  • Pulmonology
  • Nephrology
  • Gynaecology
  • Dermatology
  • Dermatoepidemiology
  • Otorhinolaryngology
  • Ophthalmology
  • Sexology
  • Osteology
  • Kinesiology
  • Neuroscience
  • Haematology
  • Psychology
  • Paediatrics
  • Angiology/Vascular Medicine
  • Critical care Medicine
  • Cardiology
  • Endocrinology
  • Gastroenterology
  • Infectious Diseases and Vaccinology
  • Hepatology
  • Geriatric Medicine
  • Bariatrics
  • Pharmacy and Nursing
  • Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry
  • Radiobiology
  • Pharmacology
  • Toxicology
  • Clinical immunology
  • Clinical and Hospital Pharmacy
  • Cell Biology
  • Genomics and Proteomics
  • Pharmacogenomics
  • Bioinformatics and Biotechnology
  • Google scholar citation report
    Citations : 2979

    International Journal of Medical Research & Health Sciences received 2979 citations as per google scholar report

    International Journal of Medical Research & Health Sciences peer review process verified at publons

    paper.io

    agar io

    wowcappadocia.com
    cappadocia-hotels.com
    balloon-rides.net

    wormax io

    Elektronik Sigara
    Elektronik Sigara